Thursday, May 5, 2016

Beijing Air

There are many China bashers in America and the world. Some are outright racists. Others are trolls and negative talkers who find every opportunity to trash anything and everything Chinese. Their trolling and trash talks often reveal their own ignorance and stupidity, and lack of self-respect.

While on this subject of China bashers, I would like to mention that there is an opposite extreme. Some people, both Chinese and non-Chinese, are crazy China worshippers. They think anything and everything Chinese is good. Certainly this is wrong.

In a Yotube video about China's five-year plan to move forward, somebody raised this question to me, "would you take a deep breath in Beijing?" I don't know if this person is a China basher or not, but his question was a legitimate one, so I gave him a response: 

Thank you for your concern. I live in Canada. We have very clean air quality here. Beijing is not China, which is a huge country. Beijing is the capital, one of many Chinese cities. Indeed Beijing doesn't have very good air quality. However, the cities with the worst air pollution are mostly in India, not China. Beijing is not even among the top 20 cities with the worst air pollution in the world.

Air quality, water, soil and all such environmental issues are important not only in Beijing or China. It is a global issue we should all be concerned with. Would I take a deep breath in Beijing? No, I don't have to. I live in Canada. But if I visit Beijing, I'll have no choice but to breathe the Beijing air. Millions of people live in Beijing. They have no choice. They are humans. They need to breathe to live.

Please don't belittle the very important environmental issues. If you want to find fault with a country, you'll be able to identify many problems everywhere, not just in Beijing or China. I can ask you a similar question: would you drink the contaminated water in Flint, U.S.A.? Please be a good world citizen and wish all countries to co-operate and fight environmental problems together. We all live in the same boat, which is Planet Earth. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment